Hairy vetch is a multipurpose legume that is used for cover crop and livestock forage. Hairy vetch is excellent for cover crop systems throughout the United States, especially where winter conditions can be a factor. With its ability for fixing nitrogen in crop rotations, this provides high yields of palatable forage for livestock, and is a great addition in mixtures with other legumes, cereals, grasses and forbs.
- Cover Crop, Ground Cover, Erosion Control, Green manure and Hay Production
- Hardy, Viney, Annual or Biennial Legume.
- Commonly used for cover crops in organic farming
- Excellent Erosion Control and weed suppression
- Recommend planting time is spring, summer and fall when night time temperatures are consistently 65+ degrees
- 10-14 days under prime conditions
- 1.25 lbs. per 1,000 sqft
- 40-50 lbs. per acre
- Comes by the pound and in pre-packaged 50 pound bags.